General Skilled Migration (GSM)

Sponsored Work

Employer Sponsored Visa is a common term used to describe various types of work visas.
General Skilled Migration (GSM) is one of the ways that skilled people can migrate without work or employers sponsoring them, hence is often referred to as independent skilled migration.

We often see international students utilize this migration pathway after they complete their studies in Australia.

Graduate Visa (subclass 485) is suggested to recent graduates for various reasons such as preparing for a skills assessment or attaining a better English result.

Once the basic profile is ready, there are a few visa options under the GSM program:

  • Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) Points-tested stream,
  • Subclass 190 Skilled Nominated visa and
  • Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491).

General Skilled Migration to Australia

If you have completed at least two years equivalent course in Australia whilst holding a student visa, then the next step would be the Graduate Visa subclass 485.

Generally, if you have completed a course that is not a Bachelor, Master or a Doctorate study (higher education) then you should review your eligibility for the Graduate Work stream. For those who have completed higher education, then the Post-Study Work stream may be for you.


Enquire Now

The subclass 189 visa is considered one of the best ways to migrate to Australia. This is a visa that is tested purely on the applicants’ merits. The skilled visa 189 is only limited to those who are skilled in any one of the occupations listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).


Enquire Now

The subclass 190 visa is similar to the 189 visa but requires a nomination from a State or Territory government. Skilled visa subclass 190 allows for occupations listed in both MLTSSL, and the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) – but you must first check with the nomination eligibility from the State or the Territory government.


Enquire Now

The skilled regional 491 visa is a 5-year provisional visa, like the 190 visas, requires a nomination from a State or Territory government or from a relative living in a designated area.

There is a provision for a pathway to a permanent residency via the Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (subclass 191).


Enquire Now

Tell Us Your Story

Latest Australian Visa Articles and News

Exciting news and articles coming soon!

Other Services

Family Sponsored and Partner Visas

Visa Refusal and Cancellation

Apply for Australian Citizenship

Tell Us Your Story

Client Testimonials